Allen Jones Style
It was great fun to flip through The Gunter Sachs Collection catalogue a few weeks ago before the lot was actioned in late May by Sotheby’s London. Sachs, who was known as a playboy, had a sizably amount of erotic art to match his reputation. The sale well exceeded expectations (fetching over 56 million dollars) and three of the biggest surprises of the evening ended up being three of my favorite pieces. The Allen Jones works (shown above) were expected to garner around sixty thousand dollars a piece when in actuality they sold for 1.32 million, 1.23 million and 1.53 million dollars, respectively. Each work was an addition of six total that the artist made in 1969. I had known little about Jones prior to seeing the Sachs collection and I wasn’t an immediate fan, but after imagining the pieces scattered around Peter Marino’s office or in the film A Clockwork Orange they quickly grew on me.
I really hope a magazine that next profiles Peter Marino (possibly for his upcoming documentary set to be released in 2013) will use Jones’ work as inspiration for a shoot; I’d love to see the world’s greatest architect mimicking the the sculptures in his entirely leather ensemble. All the talk of Peter and his uniform got me thinking of which leather pieces I am most excited to bring out once the weather cools. I came up with a few, below, that will be wardrobe staples come September.
1. Rick Owens and Junya Watanabe are the two masters of leather. Rick’s classic black leather jacket is the first piece I take out in the fall and the last to get put away come summer.
2. I have worn Alexander Wang’s black velvet backpack for two years now and I hope to soon add The Row’s leather backpack to my collection.
3. There’s nothing wrong with a woman in men’s clothes. This Givenchy jacket is the perfect example of a piece made for either sex.
4. I am not typically a fan of Louboutin’s unless it is a clean black leather pump, which he does so well.
5. Lanvin’s perfect long leather gloves.
6. The Row’s black pencil skirt is number one on my wish-list for fall.
7. Shorts give you the perfect excuse to wear leather even when the weather is still warm, this pair is by Alexander Aang.
8. Alexander Wang’s chic leather answer to a ski jacket.
9. The perfect clutch for fall, by Alexander Wang.
10. Givenchy’s long leather gloves with pony hair detailing are perfect for day.
11. These leather shorts, by Haute Hippie, are another solution for the warm weather.
12. The Row’s leather sleeveless top can be worn alone or will be great with a top underneath come winter.
13. Finally, the reason why I am so excited for fall, Givenchy’s black leather shark tooth boot.