Tomorrow at this time I will be well on my way to arguably the coolest city on the planet – Berlin. This will be my first time visiting Germany but judging by all of my research I already know I will love it. I am taking a girls trip with my mom and one of her best friends, so between art museums and meals there are sure to be a lot of laughs. Ironically, I’ve been putting off packing for the past few hours by making my packing list. Take a look below at what I am taking (if I ever manage to get these things in a suitcase) and my latest art inspiration board in honor of the contemporary art capital of the world. Can’t wait to share photos from my journey!
1. Berlin is a city for walking, but even so I can’t totally drop the fashion ball. These NIKECraft’s by Tom Sachs and black Isabel Marant’s will be my answer to walking shoes.
2. I don’t often wear big necklaces during the winter because I always have scarves on and they tend to snag. Now that the weather has warmed up I can bring out my go-tos from Marni and Tom Binns.
3. These Prada turbans and headbands are a favorite accessory of mine. Add them to any look as a fun alternative to jewelry.
4. I am a firm believer that black is just as much a summer color as it is for winter. This T by Alexander Wang canvas and leather jacket has been a staple in my closet for weeks. It is the perfect piece to take you from day to a casual evening.
5. I really hope Chanel puts this amazing quilted watering can, shown at last week’s Versailles resort 2013 show, into production. While I don’t plan on carrying around any gardening paraphernalia, I do hope to see some equally quirky fashions during my trip.
6. Isabel Marant makes the best fitting jeans, no question. I love these confetti Roxy shorts for day and these distressed black jeans for night.
7. Heels can make any outfit ‘dinner appropriate’. These Alaïa wedges and Céline’s are perfection.
8. I can’t totally abandon my favorite scarves just because the weather is heating up. They are still great to carry with your purse as an added pattern.
9. There is no denying I love my PS1′s, but Proenza’s Keep All is the best travel bag. The Céline Box bag is still a favorite of mine for any occasion. It is perfect compliment to any outfit at any time of day.
10. Despite the perfect forecast spring showers are never far away, that is why I always carry an umbrella with me, this Lanvin one is my favorite.
11. No packing jobs is complete without a few stripped shirts. They are the perfect basics without being too boring, also a great way to add color to an outfit.
Art Inspiration Board
1. Artist Tom Sachs’ take on high-end (Chanel, Tiffany, Prada and Hermes) vs. popular consumer products.
2. David Hockney’s iPad art is amazing. Always fun to see such an established artist embrace technology.
3. I am a huge fan of Katarina Fritsch’s monochromatic sculptures. I love the colors she uses especially considering they have a very matte finish. Beautiful.
4. The vacation home of artist’s Carsten Höller and Marcel Odenbach in Ghana is extraordinary. I bet Höller could make a sick water slide.
5. A stuffed animal installation at last year’s Art Basel by the late Mike Kelly.
6. The great artist and Tisci muse, Marina Abramovic.
7. A neon light chair sculpture by Ivan Navarro.
8. Such a fun way to use Damien Hirst as inspiration. I’d much prefer this Lego piece over a real animal’s carcass.
9. The Hamburger Bahnhof is a former railway station turned contemporary art museum in Berlin. Will be one of my first stops.
10. Cindy Sherman, a woman who truly transcends art and fashion, in Chanel Couture. This image and many others will be up at her gallery Metro Pictures come Fall.